Thursday, July 12, 2012

Java Plum Frozen Yogurt

In passing during one of our tea time talks, I'd mentioned my love for Jamun and its soaring prices to Dad. Its sad to see that a fruit which used to color our roads Purple during season is hard to find anymore. 

I'd forgotten when was the last time I actually saw a Jamun tree on the sides of the road and the entire road colored Purple.


And then two days later I was mesmerized and holding this huge bag full of Jamun. It was a gift from his colleague who has a tree in his backyard...His backyard!!


We are a family of Fruitaholics. And it was becoming clear with every passing minute that this bag is going to be empty before I can even come up with an idea to what I want to do with it.

  

In this heat with uncertain power supply I was not going to let these Java plums go waste. So later that evening search for making an ice-cream started.

I don't have an ice cream maker so I went to Frozen Dessert expert's Blog and found out the way to make one without a machine.


It was a long process, but I took my chances. Anyways I wasn't getting much of the sleep with an infant and used every wake-up call to go churn the frozen yogurt until I was dead on my feet.

It tasted just like it was suppose to. Little sweet, tangy and sour and left amazing purple color on our tongues.    


The recipe was sourced from David Lebovitz

Recipe follows:

250g Java Plum/ Jamun
6 Tbsp Sugar
11/4 Cup Plain whole milk Yogurt
1/2 Tsp Fresh Lemon Juice

Procedure:


Carefully deseed java plums in a small bowl and mix with sugar until it dissolves. Keep them aside.

Transfer plums with yogurt and lemon juice to a blender and blend until its a smooth mixture.

Prepare an Ice bath and pour the mixture in a baking dish to chill.

Transfer the dish to the freezer. After an hour, check the dish.

As it starts to freeze, remove from the freezer and start stirring it with either a sturdy spatula or a hand mixer and break every frozen lump to the thick smooth mixture.

Keep repeating the procedure every hour until the ice cream is frozen. It should take about 3-4 hours.

Transfer the Ice cream to an air tight container. Ready for use.
Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...