Sunday, February 12, 2012

French Apple Cake

It was a Huge Hit! I stumbled upon this fantastic breakfast cake by Sydney when everybody in my house was tired of eating cheesecakes and sweet cookies which were becoming a regular feature in my house every since I started.


I took this french apple cake as a challenge and did it. 


The worst critic of the house could not wait for it to come out of the oven. The strong aroma of the cake was so strong that when everyone was ohhs and ahhing over the new creation, I was keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that it turns out half as good as it looks on Sydney's blog. 


And it did. Mine was little fatter than Sydney's because of the smaller tin size...but I could not believe it!
It was looking amazing and nobody could wait for a piece. It was becoming harder to say no to insistent Dad who was like a kid. So we took pictures after a piece was gone and the cake was declared as a showstopper.



This cake made me realize that I can do it! Its not so difficult as it looks. I just have to follow my heart and give it a go.
I took more challenges thereafter and now have a list prepared to do more. I'll be posting them soon.

This recipe was adapted from Crepes of Wrath

Recipe Follows:

For the caramel:

3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Tbsp Water
1/2 a Lemon Juice
4 Apples, sliced thinly

For the Cake:

3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Cream Cheese, room temperature { I substituted Cream Cheese with Home made cream cheese
3 Eggs, room temperature
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350 degree F (170 degree C). Grease a 9 - inch spring form pan.

Heat 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and 2 tablespoon of water over medium heat, stirring constantly, until golden. Add lemon juice when it starts to bubble and remove from heat.

Pour into bottom of a spring form pan. Arrange apple slices on top of caramel in a circular pattern. Set aside.

Beat together 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add in cream cheese and beat until smooth. Add in the eggs, one by one beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. 

Combine the flour and baking soda in a small bowl, then add to the batter gradually, beating until just moistened.

Gently spread the batter over the apples and caramel.

Bake at 350 degree F ( 170 Degree C) for about 40 - 45 minutes. when ready remove from oven and set to cool for another 30 minutes. Serve warm.

Yum

14 comments:

  1. This sounds like amazingly delicious and healthy cake. The photograph is absolutely stunning!! http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You. Yes it does make an amazing breakfast cake with hot coffee...yumm!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, cream cheese in the batter? I bet the cake is out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely out of the world! Give it a shot :)

      Delete
  3. That cake looks amazing. Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Give it a shot...and let me know how was it :)

      Delete
  4. This sounds delicious!! I would love to try it out but I am allergic to lemon juice. Would it make a big difference if I left it out or is there something I can use instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Lemon juice prevents crystallization of sugar. You may use half the quantity of white vinegar instead, it works just fine :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Its the pasteurized buttermilk sold in the market. Homemade buttermilk works the same but its processed differently. You can pick Amul Chach, its the cultured buttermilk available in India.

      Delete
  6. or you would also be able to make each cup of buttermilk substitute by adding 1 tbsp lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Stir and let stand 10 minutes. Stir again before using in recipe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi...you haven't mentioned the quantity of eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saakshi.
      For one minute I thought it was not there. Its mentioned ~ 3 Eggs :)

      Delete
  8. This cakes as amazing as it looks!Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...