Friday, November 15, 2013

Sugar-free Chocolate & Roasted Almonds Brownies

Its a mere coincidence that yesterday was World Diabetes day and today I am sitting to write about Sugar-free goodness.

I come from a line of heredity diabetes disease. And not just one side of the family. Yes I'm one of the few to share the same disease with both sides of my family. I have to keep a check on what I eat - just as a precautionary measure. A push to the limit a bit until I fall prey to the grey cobwebs of Diabetes.



This recipe came to being from exhaustion. and you would know why I say that if you have a 19 month toddler running around the house in her sugar high.

This Diwali brought undisruptive access to the sweets for Ozzy and God if she wasn't loving every minute of it.


With the few tweaks to my earlier gooey brownies, the results were astounding. I wasn't really expecting it but seems I was absolutely wrong.

I completely threw the sugar away from the recipe. Mixed milk chocolate & dark chocolate instead of only latter and those Jaggery coated Almonds. What a sweet balance of jaggery and dark chocolate. I was super happy that day. And I got to be part of the initiative to spread awareness for this slow killing disease. I guess All's good then :)



Recipe follows:

1 1/4 Cup all Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
1 Tsp Salt
160g Milk Chocolate
150g Dark Chocolate
1 Cup Butter, room temperature
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
5 Eggs
1/2 Cup Roasted Almonds { I used Jaggery coated ones}- chopped

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350 Degree F (170 degree C) and grease eight inch pan, or line it with parchment paper.

In a bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder and salt.

In another larger bowl, mix butter with chocolate over a double boiler until melted and smooth.

Add 3 eggs first once the mixture turns at the room temperature and mix well. Add another 2 with Vanilla extract.

Lightly add dry ingredients to the chocolaty mixture and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.

Pour the batter into prepared pan and top it with coarsely chopped Roasted Almonds.

Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Let them cool completely before cutting into bars.


Yum

2 comments:

  1. looks delicious, you are not going to be let off till you treat me to some this Sunday.

    images are beautiful.

    just to sound corny - we share the circumstances of this lifestyle disease among many other things. are we long lost kin? bollywood istyle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you had to see my last night baking disaster. Next time for sure.

      And for the record, Bollywood istyle and I go long way back. I won't be too surprised there. :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...