Friday, October 18, 2013

Rum Cream Pie ~ A Homemade Life

It comes as a surprise how Sid manages to bring me the best of the gifts without even asking.
Well actually he asks me all the time but what’s the fun in getting a gift and not be surprised by it. It’s like going to a shop and buying yourself a gift.

So this year he did very well ;)
We have a tradition of gifting books to each other on birthdays and this year I got this and this.



Well this one was sitting on my wish list for ages but this book was a surprise.
How he picked it is beyond my reasons. He liked it and picked it hoping I would too.
Ooo you got to be kidding me!  I absolutely loved it.

And then I started reading it… it was so surreal to read about a foodie family. Sent me flying to my memories. But then came a chapter where her world was about to shatter. I knew how she felt because that’s what I felt when I lost my dad.
  
It took me 3 days to complete that chapter. I used to read one paragraph, relate to the feelings and emotions she was going through and bam! The waterworks started…

It didn't really help that my day and her dad practically had the same disease and similar outlook towards living life which revolved around food.

I just could not stop myself. I called my mom and cried more. Called my sister and cried even more. Came home from work and cried again.

And I stopped reading the book after that. For a week, it would sit on my lap waiting for me to open it and start again…

I skipped the remaining part until I got my head around it and started afresh. It’s been over a decade since my dad passed away but I still feel like it was just yesterday!

Ok, now that I am done with my crying phase, I have to tell you that this book is amazing. Amazing!


And to dedicate love of our father’s food and being their girls…
I made the recipe of that very chapter.

Here’s to my dad’s unconditional love for food!


This recipe was Sourced from : A Homemade Life

Recipe follows:

For the Crust:
12 Graham Crackers, broken coarsely {I used Digestive}
2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
5 Tbsp Melted Butter

For the filling:
1/4 Cup Cold Water
1 1/4 Tsp unflavored gelatin
1 Cup Heavy Cream
3 Large Egg Yolks
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Tbsp Dark Rum
Bittersweet chocolate, shaved or finely chopped

Procedure:

Preheat oven at 160 degree Celsius.

Process digestive in a processor to fine crumbs, add sugar and melted butter to it.

Mix until it resembles to wet sand. Press down the crumbs to a greased spring form dish.

Bake the crust until it starts turning brown. for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Transfer to wire rack and let it cool completely.

Soak Gelatin in a small bowl and set aside until soft and dissolved.

In a large bowl add heavy cream and set aside. keep everything clean and handy.

In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks until pale in color. Add sugar and keep beating until the mixture thickens. 

Microwave gelatin on high power until its liquefied (for about 10 - 15 seconds) and add to egg mixture.

Now quickly beat the cream to soft peaks. Make sure there is no delay as we dont want yolk mixture to start setting.

Incorporate whipped cream to egg mixture slowly stirring gently. Add rum and mix slowly.

Refrigerate the cream mixture until it starts to set. only half way through. (about 30 - 40 minutes)

Scrape the filling into our brown crust and chill further for about 4 - 6 hours.

Serve cold with sprinkled chocolate scrapings.


Yum

2 comments:

  1. lovely post and yummy pie.. I hope you include this for the potluck next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear. We should set our menu in advance or we'll end up with leftovers for a week :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...