Saturday, November 17, 2012

Nutty Vanilla and Chocolate Cake

My first Love was my dad. He would take me out on dates, give me gifts, feed me chocolates and cakes and told me I'm the prettiest everyday.

Now when I see Ozzy with her dad, I start missing my dad.
Its weird how girls are so tuned in with their dads. I want Sid to share all those bonding methods that my dad shared with me, I still live in those moments.


My dad in law shares his birthday with him. But the similarities don't end there. He goes out of his way to spoil his daughter and daughter in law.


And in return I wanted to spoil him before leaving for a new city. Last cake at home - it had to be their weaknesses.

Lots of nuts and chocolate!


The recipe was Adapted from:


Recipe follows:

For the Cake: Land O' Lakes

3 Cup All Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 Stick Unsalted Butter
1 Tsp Salt
4 Large Egg
2 Egg Yolk
1 Cup Granulated White Sugar
2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Milk

For the Frosting: Fanny

2 Sticks Butter
3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
2 Cup Confectioners Sugar
2 - 4 Tbsp Heavy Cream
1/2 Tsp Vanilla

Additional:
Lots of Nuts { Walnuts, Raisins & Almonds}

Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350 Degree F (180 degree C). Grease and line two 8 - inch cake pans.

In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.

In a large bowl beat Butter on medium speed until soft and creamy. Add Sugar and beat for another 2 minutes until incorporated.
Then add Eggs one by one. Scrape down the sides, add yolk and vanilla beating for few more minutes.

Putting speed on low add half of the dry ingredients to the batter. Scraping down the sides add milk and then the rest of the dry ingredients until well incorporated.  

Mix nuts with a Tbsp of flour and add into the batter.

Divide the batter evenly into prepared pan and Bake for about 25 - 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Let the cakes cool at the room temperature.

For the Frosting: Beat butter on a high speed until light and fluffy. Add cocoa powder and sugar alternatively in batches until all mixed properly. 

Add a tbsp of cream at a time to get the right consistency of butter cream. {for me it was 3 tbsp}

For assembling: Level the cake layer by removing all puffed areas. Place one cake layer on the serving plate and spread 1/3 of frosting followed by nuts. Place the second layer and smear the rest of the frosting on the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with grated almonds.  

Cover and refrigerate the cake. Leave out in room temperature for a while before serving.




Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...